Help detritus problem

Most of us have non-rainbowfish species in their tanks as well. Show them off to the world...

Moderator: Gunther

Dragonscalers
Egg

Help detritus problem

Post#1 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:07 am

Hi everyone,
I have a small 10 gal that held a betta , but due to my danios and baby rainbowfish I had die of what I thought of as coulumairus , I have moved my betta out, I clean the tank everyday 20% and there is little substrate at the bottom, but I still have a detritus problem. What shocked me is I never ever overfeed my fish or had a detritus problem( the food was covered in fungus) besides for cleaning more often i would also like to have An animal that can help with controlling the problem, I have two blue mystery snails that have not helped at all but that's it, I have have had great success with Cory cats, I have had a pair live for over 6 years ( cause of death, girlfriend thought it would be helpful to clean and replace te water in the tank, she not only siphoned 80% of the water out, but also filled it up with un treated tap water , destroying my 3,000$ canister filter and blew multiple heaters by not unplugging them, killed all of my fish and ruined the plant setup, was all forgotten and I shows her how to care for it right, which she loves .) anyways enough with tragedies , but if anyone can point me to any animals that may help with te detritus problem.
Thanks,

Adrian
True blue ridgie didge yabber

Re: Help detritus problem

Post#2 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:35 am

Aquarium_Gravel_Cleaner.jpg
Aquarium_Gravel_Cleaner.jpg (7.69 KiB) Viewed 4765 times

You need one of these.

Rainbowfish
Adult

Re: Help detritus problem

Post#3 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:55 pm

The syphon system known as "The Python" would be even a better choice. It attaches to your sink and sucks the water out of the tank (including bottom detritus) into the sink. When you are ready to fill you switch the valve around and start filling the tank. Make sure you add dechlor to the tank as you go. Perfect for a few tanks with no lifting involved. Even Adrian could run one of those with no huffing and puffing :-). But as Adrian slying suggested, no animal, except you, is going to clean up that stuff on the bottom of the tank. Boy, if you bought a $3,000 canister filter I do have to sell you some $300 rainbowfish! Always interview those girlfriends ahead of time to make sure that they know how to clean the tanks properly and also clean those filters and safely unplug the heaters. You tell them, "No sex until the tank is perfectly cleaned :yahoo: " Yeah, that'll work :confused:

cheers & HNY,
Gary

Return to “Fishes of the world”