Have any of your Rainbows ever schooled with other fish?

General questions (and hopefully answers ;) ) on how to care for and breed rainbows. Specific species questions go to the respective fish forum.

Moderator: Gunther

Akeath
Egg

Have any of your Rainbows ever schooled with other fish?

Post#1 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:42 pm

Have you ever had Rainbows that schooled with other species? Every now and then as I research them I find care sheets (for Praecox Rainbows in particular) that say they will sometimes school outside of their species. Has that ever happened with your Rainbows? If so, what other species were they schooling with?
I did have my young Praecox Rainbow females school with captive bred Gold Tetras (Hemigrammus rodwayi) at one point, but when I finally added a male to the school he herded all the females away, and they've never schooled together since, even after the male passed away.

mondo999
Newly hatched fry

Re: Have any of your Rainbows ever schooled with other fish?

Post#2 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:18 am

I think that should be common in any fish?
Certainly I see my praecox school with boesemani and lacustris...
Either they're schooling, or they're just group playing...

Pyxilady
Egg

Re: Have any of your Rainbows ever schooled with other fish?

Post#3 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:02 am

I have turquoise, reds and boesemanni's, and some pearl danios. The pearls love the big 75g tank and are doing well, great colors. They stopped trying to hang out with each other (I only have 3) and may have decided they are rainbow fish. Call them pink rainbows! They are very compatible with rainbows, viz. are bold, active, and fast, imo.

Return to “Care and breeding of all rainbowfish”