2.500 Ltr rainbow pleasure

This is the place where all our users can show of their rainbowfish tanks and keep their own diary if they like.

Moderator: Gunther

Hans
Ancient

2.500 Ltr rainbow pleasure

Post#1 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:53 pm

Three years ago I bought a 3,20 x 1,00 x 0,80 mtr tank. It contains about 2.500 liters water. It was stocked with malawi-fish. Today I sold my last malawifish, but the tank is still there. I very much missed the shoal-behaviour of fish and I disliked the agression of malawifish more and more. So something different had to come!

I decided to fill this tank with bows mostly, especially bows and blue-eyes from New Guinea. I won't use plants from the habitat only, but from all over the world. I'm planning several shoals of bows. From this tank I will take fish to a breeding tank to start breeding with a species.

Today I started cleaning the tank. All rocks were taken out. Temporarily I took out the plants. Yesterday I bought new lights for the tank. They have to be installed yet.

I already put a big piece of wood in the tank. Plants I will use in this tank are Vallisneria, Anubias nana, Blyxa (novoguineensis), Hydrocleis, javamoss and some red plant like Rotala rotundifolia. And likely a big plant like Aponogeton.

The substrate will be sand (0.4-0.8 mm). Probably a large number of corydoras (I have some 100 youngsters swimming at the moment as a breeding result).
And then the bows! In april I will visit Marcel Dielen in Belgium who has a large number of different bows from New Guinea. I will be like a child in a sweetshop! :yahoo:

Will be continued!

alex
Adult

Re: 2.500 Ltr rainbow pleasure

Post#2 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:05 pm

Looks like it will turn out stunning Hans.

Alex.

apisto57
Ancient

Post#3 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:10 pm

hey , with such a tank, you can let your imagination running.
Good luck with your project.

Aquarius
Adult

Post#4 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:18 am

:shock: nice.......! I hope you will make us happy with a lot of pictures :)

Hans
Ancient

Post#5 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:34 pm

So, I could do some work in the weekend on this tank. New lights had come from the webshop.

There are 3 rows of 5 TL's. From the front to the back:
Row 1: Sera blue sky royal (3x) (blue daylight)
Row 2: Osram 865 (3x) (less blue)
Row 3: Osram 865 (3x) (less blue)
Row 4: Philips 840 (3x) (somewhat yellow)
Row 5: Sylvania 830 (3x) (more yellow)

I had a lot of Vallisneria left of my malawitank. I cleaned the plants and planted back the good ones. There are a lot more plants to come, but first I will start with real waterplants that grow fast.

There's a stone under the wood to keep it in the right position. I will hide that later on with some plants.

Still to come: more plants and stones.

Gunther
Site Admin

Post#6 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:27 am

I am so jealous! :D
It's going to be a great tank.

I'd move the wood a little bit more to left though. It's quite centered at the moment and it breaks the tank in half too much.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat it and fall asleep.

Teach a man to fish and he'll endanger an entire species.

Adrian
True blue ridgie didge yabber

Post#7 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:44 am

Hans wrote:There are 3 rows of 5 TL's. From the front to the back:
Row 1: Sera blue sky royal (3x) (blue daylight)
Row 2: Osram 865 (3x) (less blue)
Row 3: Osram 865 (3x) (less blue)
Row 4: Philips 840 (3x) (somewhat yellow)
Row 5: Sylvania 830 (3x) (more yellow)

Well Hans, I should be able to see when you turn on the lights from here in Oz :lol:

Adrian

bettaman
Adult

Post#8 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:14 am

lol... yes that is quite a few bulbs!
Brett

Tobi
Adult

Post#9 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:31 am

Nice Tank Hans! I cant wait to see more pictures from it.

-Tobi

apisto57
Ancient

Post#10 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:13 pm

I agree with Gunther and would turn the wood a little bit, so that the longest branch is more in direction of the front. That would give more depth to the tank.

Hans
Ancient

Post#11 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:14 pm

I've put the wood a little bit more to the left. :)

It's now time to gather as much plants as I can get. So there's not much scaping, but more filling. I'd like to see which plants are doing well and which don't. After that I'll try to make it nice to look at.

I coudn't resist the temptation to bring in some fish. :oops: The tank is at my office, so when it's lunchtime I'd like to see something. I'm breeding with M. boesemani and took five youngsters to this tank. They really don't know what has happened. From 0.60 m to 3.20 meters! :shock:

Melanomaniac
Newly hatched fry

Post#12 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:46 am

Hi Hans,

Great tank! It's so thrilling to have this huge amount of water to populate.
For the plants, we did the same in our tank as what you are doing: just wait and see what grows well. Filtering, water current, substrate, population, water level, all these factors and more will influence which plants will like your monster tank or not.
In our 1400 Ltr for example, there is a lot of "dust" in the water due to 9 Botias playing fools, so plants like Limnophila, Cabomba or Myriophillum suffer from too much deposit stuck in the leaves, so I had to take them out.
I found that Rotala rotundifolia is really beautiful in a big tank. Apparently you will have plenty of light to turn them pink. The difficulty with neon light in these monster tanks is to have light reach the bottom, so the bottom plants need to be very robust.
For the red touch, I find Ludwigia repens "rubin" to be robust and not too demanding compared to Alternanthera which never grew well in my tank.

Can you tell us a bit more about your filters? Everything is so well hidden in the setting that it's difficult to imagine what's behind and how it works.

Great project! And lots of pleasure ahead!
Cheers, :drinks:
Sara

Stéphane
Newly hatched fry

Post#13 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:00 pm

:kewlpics: :o Whaouh! It really looks awesome!

3m long tank? It's almost the width of my rooms in my flat! :lol: And I live on the fifth floor, without lift.... I am jealous :luvya:

Hans
Ancient

Post#14 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:55 pm

Some words and pictures about the filters.

There's a biological filtering system installed beneath the tank. It's 2.00 x 0.60 x 0.40 meters and consists of 5 chambers. The water is coming from the right upper corner and left bottom corner of the tank. It's poured in the first chamber where there is a layer of cotton wool for the worst filth. Then it's poured on the blue HBM. In the second through the fourth chamber there are filterstones. The fifth chamber contains the pump to bring back the water in the tank. And the heater.

Furthermore there is a pump for the UV-light. Probably I will install a CO2-system and use this pump for that reason also.

The electricity could be done better, I hear, but I haven't any knowledge in that region. It came with the tank. I have to get an electrician to make it more neat and cheaper in use.

I got some new plants: Glyceria maxima. The plant contrasts nice against the others. Also Hygrophila corymbosa. I hope this plant will grow in a nice bunch.

joostb
Newly hatched fry

Post#15 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:42 pm

verry nice hans

Return to “Member aquariums”